28 August 2013

Quick and Easy Weekend Recipes


While I wish I could tell you about all the healthy food I ate this past weekend, lobster was probably all I've got for you.  BUT I will tell you that I'm a huge fan of easy recipes and I've got a few up my sleeve that everybody seems to enjoy.  This weekend E asked me why I hadn't made 7 layer dip yet this year.  I didn't really have a good reason, aside from the fact that I made it this weekend, in this 8x8 dish...and I'm pretty sure I ate about 85% of it.  That, hubby, is why I don't make this.  My 7 layer dip also turned into 6 layer dip because E doesn't like tomatoes.  But I'll let you in on a secret.  It's super easy to make!  If you ever need a last minute app to bring to a party...this baby is your friend.  Here's all you need: 
  1. 1 can refried beans
  2. 16 oz sour cream
  3. Guacamole (homemade or premade...below i just used premade)
  4. 1 jar of  salsa
  5. Lettuce
  6. Shredded cheese
  7. Tomatoes
I've even replaced tomatoes with a sprinkling of onions before and that was pretty good, too.  Usually I use a 9x12 baking dish, but decided to go a little smaller this time.  So I used about half the amount of ingredients I normally would.  And of course, I forgot to take some pictures before I dug into it so was stuck with an after picture.  Some people see the refried beans and get scared away (I'll admit, it doesn't look all too appetizing right now) but i promise you it's well worth the 7 minutes it takes to put this together.  Plus, no baking required!  Just put the 7 layers together and you're good to go!


My next adventure this weekend was making whole wheat BBQ chicken calzones.  I cheated (again) and bought pre-made whole wheat over the weekend.  I took some flour and rolled it out onto a pizza pan basically as thin as I could make it.  I used Kraft Honey BBQ Sauce and put a little layer on the bottom.  I added some [left over] diced & grilled chicken, sprinkled in some red onion, colby jack cheese and then put a little more BBQ sauce on, folded it up, pinched the edges together and baked for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.  Delish! Again, I didn't take a before picture!  This made more than enough for E and I, his mom even had a little and we still had some left over.  It was a pretty large dough ball, but the dough only cost $0.89!  Talk about a cheap, yummy and somewhat healthy lunch!
Yum.

No comments: