13 September 2013


I just scheduled my little B-Man's 9 month check up appointment today.  I know...he's already 9 months!  Our previous doctor said a 9 mo isn't essential since there aren't any shots needed.  The more I read (thanks, TheBump!) the more I felt like he really should go for a check up!  It's good to check where he was developmentally, etc.  Anyways, I can't believe my baby is actually almost 10 months at this point.  AH!  That made me go look back at photos from when B was born.  His birthday is actually 4 days before E's so I even found a picture of my two favorite boys on E's birthday last year....
Fuzzy pictures because I didn't want to use the flash!
Fun fact: E used to play hockey and is looking to get back into it.  His brother got him a helmet for his birthday last year...but it was a little small.
Anyways...back to my main point. I'm not going to go through my full on birth story.  I cringe when I read those.  Let's just say that the day Brady was born was an interesting one!  I was on my way to work, about 730/8 AM driving on the highway when I started to feel really uncomfortable.  I actually got off the highway and told E I thought I might be in labor.  Now, E works in the city so he was on a train to work. Not exactly easy to have the conductor turn that bad boy around for one person.  We had a plan in place in the event that I went into labor at work, so we decided to stick with that (I knew I wasn't going to pop right then, don't worry!).  I got to work and quietly told a couple of co-workers that I thought I was in labor but I wasn't really sure. They looked at me like I was crazy! But since I wasn't sure I actually worked for about 45 minutes.  Once I figured out that I was actually in labor, my girls put my plan into action! We headed out - Jocelyn drove me in my car and Kerin followed behind us.  While I was in the car, I called the hospital and spoke to a nurse telling her I was coming in because I thought I was in labor. She actually said it didn't sound like I was in labor, so don't come in because they'd just send me home. I told her that was not an option and I was coming in. She scheduled an appointment with my doctor (whose office was thankfully at the hospital) because she didn't believe me. 

We drove to the train station next to the hospital, waited for Eric to arrive and I actually ended up leaving first and Eric met me in the hospital. After seeing my doctor she agreed I was in labor and sent me over to maternity.  Now...most soon-to-be mom's have a "Go Bag" that is properly packed.  I did not. I had a couple of things I thought I needed. No camera. Nothing for E.  I don't even remember if I had anything for B in there other than a hat. Either way, E had to go home, feed the pup and grab some extra stuff.  I got checked in and settled...just waiting for my epidural (no chance I was foregoing those magic meds!).  

By the time E was coming back to the hospital, it was around lunchtime so he had stopped at McDonalds to get something to eat before coming back to the hospital (since I couldn't eat anything).  Turns out he was in such a rush that managed to lock his keys in the car. Yup...it's true.  Good thing B wasn't born until later in the evening so he didn't miss much!

I don't think I've mentioned this on the old blog here...but I had begged my doctor for a C-section. BEGGED.  First off, the idea of a human growing inside of me? Right, some people say it's a beautiful, magical experience. It's not. It's uncomfortable, nauseating, heart-burn inducing....and the list goes on.  The idea of actually pushing a human being out of me? Gag. No thanks...I wanted NOTHING to do with it. But my doctor wouldn't let me.  There was no medical reason for a C-section.  So when labor came? I was terrified. When my doc said I could start pushing? I think I was in shock that the time was actually here and I actually had to face what was going to happen.  But for being my first, I was in labor for 12 hours and pushed for less than an hour.  And let me tell you....it was the first 4 days after B was born that were the worst (we're talking couldn't walk, hurt to laugh, uncomfortable to sit...) and not the actual number.

My entire birth experience took place without a birth plan.  I think not really having many expectations made it a lot easier.  B was 8 lbs 7 oz when he was born and 20.5 inches long.  Most people responded with "wow that's huge" and now I can't believe what a tiny little peanut he was when he was born...how have you already grown so much my little man???

No comments: