05 November 2013

Chicken Taco Chili for One

One of my co-workers sent me a recipe for taco soup (thanks, Liz!).  I figured this past weekend was the perfect time to make it...I don't think Eric like anything in this recipe other than chicken...and onion, but certainly not on its own.  What better time to make myself a nice warm meal that I knew Eric would have no interest in? I started out planning to make taco soup for my lunch on Sunday...so even though these are the ingredients I started with...

I didn't end up using all of them.  First off, the recipe called for ground turkey, but I knew I wanted to use up some of the left over chicken that I had.  I had 1.5 breasts of chicken that were pre-cooked and seasoned with Adobo seasoning.  Also, the recipe called for kidney beans, and I didn't have any on hand so I planned to use chick peas instead.  I didn't end up using the chicken broth or chick peas for this recipe.  I ended up making more of a chile than a soup...but it was delicious none-the-less!  My full list of ingredients ended up being:
  • 1/2 of an orange pepper
  • about 1/8 of a (large) red onion
  • one can of corn (strained) 
  • one can of stewed tomatoes
  • about 3/4 of a packet of Ortega taco seasoning
Oh and did I mention I had a little helper with me?  He helped me by having apples and goldfish in his high chair.


My chicken was already cooked, so I tossed it into a pot on medium-low heat and put some of the juice from the stewed tomatoes in there, as well.  While that was heating up, I moved over to my veggies.

 This is really as much onion as I used...sliced and then chopped it up, and did the same with my orange pepper.

 Once I had the fresh veggies chopped, I dumped the rest of the can of stewed tomatoes in wiht my chicken, added the orange peppers and onion combo, and drained the can of corn and added that in, as well.
 I turned the heat up to medium-high for a few minutes, just enough to let it start to boil.  Then I actually turned it down and simmered for about 15 minutes and then put some right into a bowl for me.  It was absolutely delicious! I put the rest into a container and even ended up eating it for lunch yesterday...perfect!
I'm not sure what this face was about...but it seems like the perfect way to end this little recipe!

No comments: